Friday, March 11, 2016

Friday Road Trip - Ski Phoenix

My record is intact, 52 consecutive years of skiing, and for the first time, I can say I skied Phoenix.
Warm welcome when I arrived from Dave Doumont - his 36th day of this season, skiing Red and Phoenix. Dave taught skiing at Baldy year one, before Wally and Mary Anne Day started the ski school. More recently he coached in the Nancy Greene Program at Baldy. Interesting to hear some of the history of Phoenix, and Dave's involvement in laying out and logging the runs. The power came from the Phoenix Mine, and the mine was responsible for the original installation of the towers. It didn't take long for us to catch up with Teledeano. One of the lift operators was Sieglinde's great nephew, and riding the T-bar reminded us of the good old days at Baldy. Your legs get a work out on the way up too.

"Three Old Pros" with Dean Corbett and Dave Doumont
You'd never know that Dave had a stroke 6 years ago. He hasn't changed - he now wears a helmet, and proudly wears his 50 year CSIA pin. Any thoughts I had about taking it easy on the first day - not a chance, Dave was motoring. That's Baldy over Dave's shoulder.

The welcoming committee Dave Doumont with Randy and Jan Trerise - former CSPS patrollers at Baldy.

Looking back at Baldy from the top of Phoenix.


 
Interesting discussion with a board member of the Phoenix Mountain Alpine Society - discussing mountain safety among other things. They used to open up the area to sleds after the season - they don't anymore, for good reason.
 
 
Burger on the deck in the sunshine before I left, and starting to snow at Baldy when I got home.
SPF 60 today, and I still feel like I got a lot of sun.
 
Thanks for the tips on the back road home - much quicker.
 


No comments: