Sunday, September 8, 2024

Sockeye

Sockeye fishing has started on the north end of Osoyoos Lake.


Third generation of family lives on this Osoyoos property, with a "public" beach access adjacent to it. My understanding as a kid was that the narrow lane was intended for fire department access. In recent times, boaters have brushed it, and launch there to avoid line ups at public boat launches.

6:00am this morning, the area streets were lined with trucks and boat trailers. I owned a house in this neighbourhood 20 years ago. Hardly two way streets when the boaters are there. (Full disclosure - I too had a boat in the neighbourhood, but did not use that lane to launch.)

In 2021, I was sitting on the patio there on a bluebird sunny day. I left for Oliver, and by the time I got groceries and was filling with gas, the fire trucks were heading south, and when I got to 17km I could see the massive plume of smoke - the start of our nightmare - Nk'Mip wildfire.

No comments: