Saturday Morning

If you are around, stop by the event and say good-bye to Brandan. I just missed him today, and hope to be back from Marion Boyd's service tomorrow in time to see him.

Friday, October 2, 2026

Promotion from within - Guyot

 I spent some time with Guyot this afternoon, and we talked mostly about the content of the info below. Guyot did not "apply" for the job. The Baldy team discussed the best option moving forward, and the job was offered to Guyot with the endorsement of the Baldy team.

Katlin will miss him on the summer construction crew.

Looking over Guyot's work history, managing a dairy farm stuck out to me as very relevant experience. Dealing with some difficult creatures, a product with an expiry date, and long hours.

"Hello! My name is Guyot Bisson and I am excited to take on the new roll as Operations Manager here at Baldy Mountain Resort. I have been with BMR for 2 seasons prior to this, as Snow School and Rentals Director. In this roll you could find me doing everything from fitting customers with boots to training instructors on the slopes. As a CSIA Level 3 Instructor my passion lies primarily with skiing however you can still find me teaching a snowboard lesson from time to time. I have no prejudice when it come to snow sports.

I got into the industry in the winter of 2008/’09, as an instructor at Nakiska Winter Sports School. There, with the help of their training staff, I pursued my higher certifications and by my fourth season I had my CSIA Level 3 and was made Skiing Technical Director where I was in charge of making sure our instructors got the same standard of training, that I received, to pursue their own teaching goals. Whilst still training instructors I was brought into more of a management roll in subsequent seasons. Here I learned the ins and outs of running a Snow School. The winter of 2014/15 was my last season in this roll however I came back for one last season as a part-time instructor. This is due to the birth of my 1st son in 2016. From here I stayed on with my brother and lead my own crew for his construction company in Calgary, which is what I had been doing in the summers from about 2011.

As my wife and I were starting our new family we were looking to get out of the city and still have some stability and support. I put my skiing career on hold for something totally out of left field, Dairy Farming. In 2019 we moved to New Zealand to take over management of my wife’s family dairy farm alongside her brother. We had 2 years to learn how to manage a dairy farm before her parents retired. Here is where I really learned to manage my time more efficiently as there is just not enough hours in the day to get everything done on the farm. I really had to prioritize my time and think about the broader picture a lot more. After learning how to run the farm, everything from milking cows to pasture management and animal health, we stayed and co managed the farm with my wife’s brother until 2024 when I decided I missed skiing too much. Our 4 children were a little bit older, and we were a little bit wiser, so we packed up and moved to our remote property just down the road from Baldy Mountain Resort.

We had purchased this land in 2018 because we had always wanted to own our own property near a ski hill and this was very affordable. The plan was to eventually build a little ski cabin on it. So, in 2024 that’s just what we did. With the help of my family, I built our off-grid home just down the road from the resort. My intention was always to work at Baldy in the winters. Its fun-loving family vibes are what drew us here in the first place. I guess the incredible snow played a part too!

Moving forward as Operations Manager with Baldy Mountain Resort, I will do everything in my power to keep Baldy growing. The mountain has so much potential and I am looking forward to helping it reach it. My big focus in the years to come will be to bring more summer activities to Baldy. I believe this is the next step for Baldy Mountain Resort, year-round operations. I’m sure it will have its share of challenges, but they will be outweighed by the rewards that come with it. Living and working in natures playground, what else could you ask for."

As much as I am very disappointed with Brandan's departure, I believe that Guyot is already an asset to the mountain, and deserves our support. When the days are long, he has a very short drive to his home down the road. His wife and four children have already connected with kids and adults in the community. He loves to ski, and I hope he can make room in his days to get out on the hill. 

 

 

 


No comments: