Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Roof Top Sprinklers

I have had a roof top sprinkler for many years. I considered switching to another sprinkler set up that does not involve getting up on the roof in the spring and fall.I discovered during the 2015 Rock Fire, that I could open a window and exchange the air in the cabin if the roof sprinkler was running.

I chose the roof top after watching a video presentation of a blackened forest with a cabin still standing with a green circle around it.

Once we are evacuated, we have no control over the structure protection unit's decisions, but if the sprinkler is there, they may use it.

As noted in the article below, a sprinkler does not negate the need for FireSmart work.

Structure protection folks in 2021 were quoted as saying we can't save this place - too many trees, and the houses are too close together.

BC Wildfire Service

💧 Will a rooftop sprinkler protect my home from wildfire?
It's a question we hear every wildfire season.
The answer is: it's not that simple.
Structure protection sprinklers can be used as a last line of defence, but they aren't a substitute for FireSmart practices that reduce your home's vulnerability to wildfire.
Before installing a sprinkler system, there are important things to consider:
🏠 Is it appropriate for your property?
💧 Where will the water come from?
🚒 Could it affect water available for emergency response?
⚙️ Is it installed and used correctly?
Improperly installed or operated systems can cause water damage to your property and may not perform as expected during a wildfire.
If you're thinking about installing a rooftop sprinkler system, talk to your local fire department or FireSmart Coordinator before making a decision.
The best investment you can make is reducing your home's wildfire risk with proven FireSmart practices.

No comments: