Around 2010, there was an assessment done by Fred Marshall indicating a high fuel load below us, and a community in need of major FireSmart type work.
When I started posting about that kind of stuff, I received photos and info from a Baldy skier I've known most of my life. His submissions detailed the work that Oregon had done around their cities/communities. Spacing trees and removing ground and ladder fuels.
We have had some of that type of work done below us. Lobbying for more forest management Province wide is important.
As a community, we all need to do more to FireSmart our properties. As long as our village has dense tree stands, and carpets of needles, all of our properties are at risk.
I won't photograph and shame some of the worst lots, but there are standing dead trees on properties where ownership tends to walk away at the end of the ski season, and not come up in the off season. Trees are dying in the village. When they land on your cabin, the costs will exceed what it costs to take them down. When they fall on your neighbour's home, that is another story.
I have a sprinkler on my roof, but I was stunned by the report of an experienced structure protection fellow who stayed behind on Westside Road. He had a sprinkler system running, but the fire was so intense he went into the lake and watched his home burn.
No comments:
Post a Comment