Sunday, August 4, 2024

My experimental loss, your gain - Roof Sprinkler

 https://westernwildfire.ca/shop/ols/products/ember-armor-wildfire-protection-sprinkler 

After many years of putting a sprinkler frame on the roof in the spring, and taking it down in the fall, I was intrigued by this product - self draining, leave it on the roof year 'round. Putting one sprinkler by the chimney would defeat the purpose of the change, so I mounted one on each gable end,

I do not have enough pressure to run two roof sprinklers. I was able to get the hose bib up to 71psi, it dropped to 36psi with one sprinkler going, and 26 with the second one going.

It is possible that a hose lay and pump system by structure protection would have enough pressure to run two, but I want the option of being able to run it off my own tap.

If you are in the upper village and do not have a pressure reducer ahead of your hose bib, this may interest you.

I tried the kit sprinklers, and replacement kit sprinklers, and returned them - but did not get a credit.

I chose a Rainbird  https://store.rainbird.com/25pjdac-brass-impact-sprinkler.html  that is rated to operate down to 25psi. The kit supplier says there is a plastic filter in rainbirds that should be removed - I did my research, and have put the new sprinkler on my old frame as it is coming from the factory. I was unable to get a sprinkler spec sheet for the no name kit sprinkler.

A locally purchased Rainbird I tried was $55. The one I chose, Rona had on the sale price of $29.99.

I am selling two kits.

Kit one is complete, with a Rainbird 25pjdac brass impact sprinkler. Sale price was $179, will sell this for $150.

Kit two is almost complete, but you will need to supply the sprinkler head - $30 or more. Or you could contact the supplier and tell them you bought it from me, and maybe they would mail you a set of sprinklers. $110

If you are interested:

I can lend you a pressure gauge to test your hose bib.

The supplier claims that it takes structure protection about an hour to set up sprinklers at your property - the kit includes a sign that you can put in front of your place to notify responders that you have sprinklers in place.

unbaldy@gmail.com 

No comments: